A couple of years ago we shared our favorite Homemade Play Dough Recipe. We’re excited that so many of our readers love it as much as we do! But it doesn’t work for gluten-free families, so we have been trying to create a fantastic gluten-free play dough recipe, because of course gluten-free kids love play dough too! So now after many trials with different ingredients, we’re happy to share our favorite non-toxic gluten-free homemade play dough recipe.
Get ready to fall in love!
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vegetable oil (we like olive oil, but any vegetable oil will work)
- 1 cup water
- Food coloring (see suggestions below for non-toxic food coloring))
Instructions: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly for approximately 3 minutes. When the dough begins to form a ball, it’s cooked. Cool for one minute. Then knead in food coloring by hand.
For non-toxic food coloring options, you can make your own or try these fabulous natural food dyes from :
That’s it! You’re done! Store your homemade play dough in an airtight container and if it starts to get a bit dry, add just a dash more vegetable oil and it will liven right up!
Want more non-toxic & DIY recipes or ideas?
- Looking for non-toxic products for your home? Check out our Green Shopping Directory for ideas! (Healthy Home Guide)
- 5 tips for packing waste-free lunches (Healthy Home Guide)
- 3 easy green school fundraisers (Healthy Home Guide)
- Keep Toxins out of your body with the 3 points of Entry! (Healthy Home Guide)
Arts & Crafts Recipes:
Cleaning Product Recipes:
Baby Care Recipes:
Try our favorite source for Gluten-Free Shopping: Thrive Market!